LOS ANGELES, Dec. 17 — Detectives have obtained a warrant to seize Alec Baldwin’s cell phone as they search for evidence in the shooting death of a cinematographer on the set of Rust.
Baldwin was brandishing a Colt pistol during a rehearsal for the low-budget western being filmed in New Mexico in October when he discharged a live bullet, killing Halyna Hutchins.
A search warrant yesterday said ‘there may be evidence on the phone’ which may be ‘material and relevant to this investigation’, citing various text messages and emails sent to and from Baldwin regarding the production of Rust.
Investigators have yet to file criminal charges for the tragedy and have refused to rule out any charges against anyone involved, including Baldwin.
Baldwin was both the star and a producer of Rust.
The warrant stated that Baldwin had exchanged emails with the film’s gunsmith about the type of weapon to be used in the scene.
“He said he asked for a bigger gun, and she also showed him different styles of knives for production,” he says.
“Alec was shown a Colt with a brown handle and a cherry handle, and he ended up choosing the one with the brown handle.”
Detectives collect information on the Rust production going back even before filming began.
In his first major interview since the shooting, Baldwin said earlier this month that he was told the gun contained no live ammunition and was told by Hutchins to point the gun in his direction as she was preparing to film the scene.
Baldwin told ABC he didn’t feel guilty for Hutchins’ death, adding that he started cocking the gun when the bullet fired, but didn’t pull the trigger. -AFP