CHICAGO (AP) – Rory Dames has resigned as coach of the Chicago Red Stars, and the team say they have launched an independent review of player health and safety and team culture after The Washington Post cited several players as saying Checkers was emotionally abusive.
Dames led the Red Stars to the National Women’s Soccer League title game, which Chicago lost to the Washington Spirit on Sunday. Washington won the title under the guidance of an interim coach after coach Richie Burke was sacked in September for violating the league’s anti-harassment policy. Spirit players had said Burke was verbally abusive.
Dames is the latest of several NWSL coaches to face allegations of misconduct. Lisa Baird resigned as league commissioner on October 1 after two former players brought forward allegations of harassment, including sexual coercion, against North Carolina Courage coach Raul Riley, who was immediately dismissed by Courage.
The league has launched an independent investigation into its handling of abuse complaints, and US Soccer, the sport’s governing body, has hired former United States Attorney and Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates to conduct its investigation into the behavior. abuse and sexual misconduct in professional women’s football.
A video call between the head of the International Olympic Committee and Chinese tennis player Peng Shuai, whose nearly three-week disappearance from the public eye sparked an uproar, aimed to reassure the world that she was safe – but rather raised more questions.
Concern grew last week for the former No.1-ranked doubles player – who had not been seen since accusing a senior Chinese official of sexual assault on November 2. Tennis stars and fans alike have asked to know #WhereIsPengShuai, and the President of the Women’s Tennis Association has threatened to pull lucrative events out of China.
On Sunday, the IOC said Peng spoke with its president, Thomas Bach, and other officials during a 30-minute video call from Beijing. According to the organization’s statement, she reassured them that she was fine and thanked them for their concern – while asking for confidentiality.
The IOC released a photo that shows Bach facing a screen on which Peng appears but has not shown a video of the call. On the same day, China Open posted videos and photos of his appearance at a youth tennis tournament in Beijing that morning.
The brief IOC statement, which offered few details and no follow-up to its allegations, seems unlikely to close the door on Peng’s case – and it’s leading to growing criticism of the sports body, which was already facing calls for a boycott of Beijing. Winter Olympics, which open on February 4.
LeBron James of the Los Angeles Lakers was suspended for one game and Isaiah Stewart of Detroit was suspended for two games for their roles in a gruesome incident during Sunday’s Lakers-Pistons game.
The NBA has announced the suspensions, and both will affect games on Tuesday. James won’t be playing when the Lakers visit Madison Square Garden to face the New York Knicks. Stewart will miss the Pistons’ home game against Miami on Tuesday and their game in Milwaukee on Wednesday.
James will lose about $ 284,000 in salary, while Stewart will lose about $ 45,000. This is the first suspension in a 19-year career for James, who has won four NBA titles with three teams.
The Lakers and Pistons meet in Los Angeles on Sunday, and James and Stewart will both be eligible to play.
DURHAM, NC (AP) – Citadel coach Duggar Baucom collapsed on the pitch barely a minute into the game and was rushed to hospital in a 107-81 loss to Duke, no.5.
Baucom fell on the sidelines and was rushed to Duke University Hospital. Baucom, 61, was conscious as he was helped out of the gym by medical staff.
“All things considered, he’s as good as he can get,” said assistant head coach Jake Castleberry. “He was consistent all the time. … He just said he was in pain.
Team spokesman John Brush later said Baucom was in good spirits and would stay in the hospital overnight. He will return with the team on Tuesday morning in Charleston, South Carolina.
Hayden Brown of the Citadel scored an offensive rebound just before the stoppage of play for Baucom, who is in his seventh season at school. Castleberry took over on the Citadel Bench.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – Right-hander Anthony DeSclafani has reached a deal on a three-year, $ 36 million contract to stay with the San Francisco Giants.
DeSclafani became a key member of manager Gabe Kapler’s rotation in the Giants’ record-breaking 107-winning season, NL West champion, with a career-high 13-7 with 152 strikeouts and a 3.17 ERA. out of 31 departures.
He is expected to earn $ 12 million in each season of the 2022-24 deal, and the contract also includes a $ 60,000 donation the 31-year-old pitcher will make to the Giants Community Fund each year.
First baseman Brandon Belt accepted the club’s $ 18.4 million qualifying offer for the 2022 season last Wednesday after a career best year.
NEW YORK (AP) – David Ortiz, Ryan Howard, Tim Lincecum and Alex Rodriguez are among 13 candidates for the first time in the Baseball Writers’ Association of America’s Hall of Fame ballot, joining 17 alumni.
Steroid-contaminated stars Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens make their 10th and final appearance on the BBWAA poll with Curt Schilling, who lost 16 votes of the 75% needed in last year’s poll. Schilling was on 71.1% of the ballots, Bonds 61.8% and Clemens 61.6%.
Justin Morneau, Jimmy Rollins and Jake Peavy are also new to the ballot with Carl Crawford, Prince Fielder, Joe Nathan, Jonathan Papelbon, AJ Pierzynski and Mark Teixeira, Hall and BBWAA said on Monday.
Leftovers include Bobby Abreu, Mark Buehrle, Todd Helton, Tim Hudson, Torii Hunter, Andruw Jones, Jeff Kent, Andy Pettitte, Manny Ramirez, Gary Sheffield, Sammy Sosa, Omar Vizquel and Billy Wagner.